- Registry operational information available on: https://share.wmda.info/x/FxRcAQ
- Update March 18: read here.
Russia Karelian Registry of Hematopoietic Stem Cells (ION-8256)
- Update April 3, 2020: Due to the pandemic of COVID-19, Russia has stopped all travel abroad (since March 27th) and adopted some restrictions for travel of civil individuals (since March 30th). However under certain circumstances people may leave their homes, in particular, to visit a medical office. Since the risk of donor infection with COVID-19 is quite high, some operations of the Karelian Registry cannot be performed in full scale. However, this greatly varies from one particular case to another, and we hope the restrictions will not hold for too long.
- Search: There are no restrictions, conducted as usual.
- Additional HLA typing: Additional HLA-typing is possible once the donor gives explicit consent and does not experience travel restrictions on the way to the medical office in charge for taking blood samples. In response to a particular request we will at once inform the requesting center about the possibility of typing.
- Confirmatory typing:It is possible if the following standard conditions are met. To export blood samples an agreement must be made with the requesting center. In addition we need to obtain permission from the Russian Ministry of Health. There are currently no delays with the execution of such agreements from our part. Obtaining permission to export blood samples usually takes 10-12 days. Obstacles for sending blood samples abroad may rise due to restrictions set on international flights. Once we are unable to send blood samples for CT, we will promptly notify the requesting center. With the consent of the transplant center we can have high resolution HLA-typing A-B-C-DRB1-DQB1 and IDM tests performed by an independent laboratory. During an epidemic a donor may experience travel restrictions on the way to the medical office in charge for taking blood samples. However we are ready to check the donor’s health ourselves and report the results to the requesting center. If the transplant center approves a donor without a CT additional blood samples may be sent with PBSC or BM once the transplant center requests them (volume, type, and number of samples should be specified). At the CT stage we also check the donor for the presence of COVID-19 and for contacts with infected persons. In case of positive detection the donor will be delayed for 3 months after recovery; the donor, who was in contact with a COVID-19 positive person will be delayed for 28 days.
- Workup: Work-up is possible once the donor gives consent and does not experience travel restrictions. At the WU stage we also check the donor for the presence of COVID-19 and for contacts with infected persons. In case of positive detection, the donor will be delayed for 3 months after recovery; the donor, who was in contact with a COVID-19 positive person, will be delayed for 28 days.
- Collection: Collection is possible if the donor is not limited to travel to the collection center. BM collection is possible if an operating room is available. PBSC collection is possible. However much will depend on the particular case.
- Transport of BM/PBSC: Possible for national patients.For international patients – a preliminary discussion is necessary in each case. As one of the options a cargo variant may be discussed
Important! Each donor will be tested for COVID-19 during the final cleanup phase. However there will be substantial risk of donor infection during the period of G-CSF mobilization or immediately before donation of PBSC or bone marrow. Therefore we recommend that transplant centers do not start conditioning until the collection center harvests a donor product. Once we are not sure that the donor product will be delivered to the transplant center within 72 hours, a preliminary discussion with the transplant center and the collection center on freezing the donor product immediately after collection will be necessary.
All requesting centers may continue to contact Karelian BMD Registry as usual via
fax: +7 8142 76 58 97
tel.: +7 8142 67 01 80
Singapore Bone Marrow Donor Programme (ION-3785)