Data upload (and download) can be done using various mechanisms :
- Web-based interface at https://staging-dataupload.wmda.info (please note the URL for production is dataupload.wmda.info )
- Desktop applications and Sync Clients for Mac, Linux, Windows.
- REST API, using commands like cURL, or libraries like Restsharp
This document describes the data upload mechanism via the REST API method, where users can upload a PGP encrypted XML file.
Using the REST API
To test the API you may use a tool like Restlet, a plugin for Chrome browsers to test API calls before you deploy. The server responds with a HTTP code 200 in when succesful, but the response body may contain detailed error messages.
In case the upload succeeded, an XML response with meta information of the upload is generated. You may use this for own logging purposes. For more info you can read the full API specification.
|Full URL path example|
For donor for organization with ION-1234, the full path is as below:
|HEADER||only Authorization is required, the other ones are optional|
- Server name should be https://staging-dataupload.wmda.info
- For production you will need https://dataupload.wmda.info
First test the connection by using the right path and fetching the metadata : it should result in a response 200 OK.
- Look carefully at the path : here we use ion0999, that should be replaced by your ION.
- You may notice that we add the filename to the path: depending on the library you may need to add that
Now we know the path is correct and we can do an upload using cURL:
In case you need a testfile you may generate one (in windows) issueing "FSUtil File CreateNew temp.pgp 0x2500000"
Question : My report states : File could not be processed due to a file decryption error, when using the API
The Dataupload's API endpoint /io streams file(s) directly to the workspace. We have detected that premature file pickups may occur and attempt to move/delete files while content is still being appended or processed. We have taken actions to reduce this behaviour by decreasing the frequency for file pickup which in turn does lower the chance for premature pick. We have also implemented gpg error validation to check integrity based on its messages.
Note: Files are picked from the workspaces for processing every 10 minutes.
Some key messages:
- Known internal gpg messages for corrupted files during API uploads: "invalid packet", "invalid encoding" and "failed".
- Report message that uploader users would receive in case of corrupted gpg file upload: File could not be processed due to a file decryption error. Please make sure file is properly encrypted.
For more information please contact WMDA support team.
You may use the API also to fetch your reports . Unfortunately, it is not one line cmd, and need 2 steps.
1.Fetch the files list and get the file names.
Use the following curl and endpoint to fetch an array with filedescriptors:
You will get the result in xml format, and you can get json format, use the cmd below:
2. Fetch all the reports or the one you need.
Note, you need to use "io" instead of "fs" in the path.
In RESTLET :
Click on Code to get raw CURL syntax:
Response should be 200:
Download full dataset
For those registries that are permitted to use the full dataset the statement below will fetch that. Please change the ION workspace to match your ION.